In this tutorial, you will learn how to organize your groups into hierarchies, with parent and subgroup relationships. For example you could have a parent School group, that has sub-groups representing Departments within that school.
Enabling group hierarchies
Social groups can be organised as parent and subgroups. You must first enable the Group Hierarchies option in the BuddyBoss Platform Group settings.
To enable group hierarchies:
- Go to WordPress Dashboard > BuddyBoss > Settings > Groups.
- In the Group Hierarchies section, mark the check box for Hierarchies to enable it.
- Click the Save Settings button.
NOTE: You can choose to hide subgroups from the groups directory and group type shortcode by marking the check box for Hide Subgroups. Also, restrict members from being invited to subgroups if they are not already a member of the parent group.
NOTE: Enabling Group Hierarchies adds a ‘Subgroups’ tab to all the group pages.
Adding a parent group to social groups
To add parent group to social groups as a site administrator or group organizer or a group member:
- Go a group’s page you want to set as a subgroup. For example, go to the Innovation Club group page.
- Click the Manage tab nad then click Settings.
- In the Group Parent section, select the preferred parent group from the dropdown list then click the Save Changes button. Only groups you are an member of are displayed in the dropdown.
NOTE: A subgroup displays a breadcrumb of the parent group on the group’s page.