BuddyBoss Home – Web Support Forums Themes BuddyBoss theme 4.0.9 Social Links

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Question

@style960

BB 4.0.9 shows icons for all social media links regardless of how many you have details entered for – in my case FB & Twitter. The remaining icons previously didn’t display if addresses hadn’t been added.

Answers

@jgwolfensberger

I’m experiencing this as well. Thanks for posting, Paul.

Alyssa
    Participant
    @alyssa-buddyboss

@style960 @jgwolfensberger I updated straight to version 4.1.0 and I do not experience this issue. Please let me know if you still have it after upgrading. If so, please let me know which SM links you are using.

@jgwolfensberger

Hi TJ,

I just updated the theme to 4.1.0, made certain I flushed browser cache repeatedly and have no caching turned on for the site… but I still have all the social icons including those that I do not have a URL for. I could settle for hiding them via CSS, either individually or entirely actually.

James

@jgwolfensberger

Oops… I’m using FB, Twitter, Pinterest, and email with URLs. The others I don’t need.

@style960

Yeah same for me still also.

A quick note as well – from the 4 themes I have installed – BB + BB Child, Super Mobile + SM Child, only the original BB theme prompts for an automatic update. Is this expected behaviour?

Alyssa
    Participant
    @alyssa-buddyboss

@style960 @jgwolfensberger my only suggestion is to null out or empty the links to the media sites. A space will make the icon show up so make sure there are none in the field and save the results. Paul, I see you put your own site in the extra links, remove this and they should disappear on their own. Also make sure you don’t have a custom footer.php file, this could also pose an issue. All else fails you can remove the icons directly from the footer.php file.

@style960

@tjchester I have no white spaces, I’ve only added these two addresses in the FB & Twitter fields in Customizer:

https://facebook.com/everygoalmatters
    https://twitter.com/egmatters

I don’t have a custom footer.php file. Looks like a theme issue, I didn’t have this problem prior to 4.0.9

@jgwolfensberger

My experience is the same as Paul’s – no spaces entered into Social Link fields and the icons/links still appear in the footer.

I tried removing my custom footer.php, but the problem still exists. Meanwhile, the custom footer.php is the correct method for modifying the “Designed by BuddyBoss” footer item, I believe. So even if this did work, without the footer.php, we would need a method to remove the BuddyBoss reference so that theme updates don’t undo it. If I’m understanding correctly 🙂

@jgwolfensberger

I’m using this CSS to hide the social icons I’m not using, although I don’t know if this is a technically “correct” method. For some reason I had to adjust the margin on the Pinterest icon to keep the icons spaced evenly. I also found that the “!important” tag was necessary.

.link-linkedin, .link-googleplus, .link-youtube, .link-instagram {
      display: none !important;
    }

.link-pinterest {
      margin-left: -10px !important;
    }

@style960

Seems like the only option at the moment, thanks.

@jgwolfensberger

Paul, by the way… I must have had a caching issue and I was wrong about the one icon needing a margin setting. You’ll likely find that you don’t need it.

@sgaske

As of version 4.2, this is still an issue. Tried all of the above except the CSS modification. In the Customizer, it all seems to work fine, but as soon as I save and leave the customizer it reverts back to showing all the icons. Any new suggestions/fixes for this?

Alyssa
    Participant
    @alyssa-buddyboss

@sgaske please make sure you update the footer.php file in your child theme with the most current version from the parent theme.

@style960

@tjchester Done, looks fine in Customizer, still show all icons front-end. Sorry, not fixed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The question ‘4.0.9 Social Links’ is closed to new replies.